Commercial Music Sync Licensing

Sync licensing - using commercial music in film, adverts, video games or other audio-visual productions

If you need to use a specific musical work which has been commercially released for retail sale in a production or product, you must first attain approval from the rights holders and agree a fee. You can use our track clearing service to obtain the correct licence with the necessary permissions. 

MCPS hold the mandate to license specific musical works for use in productions and products on behalf of many of our Music Publisher, Songwriter, and Composer members. Where we don’t hold the mandate, we will put you in touch with the relevant people who can license it to you direct.

You can apply to license a specific musical work in:

  • Premiums / promotional products
  • Multimedia products
  • TV/radio ads
  • Novelty products
  • Online Productions

Prior approval process

You need to inform MCPS which track you wish to use.

If the track is controlled by a member that has not granted a mandate to MCPS, they will inform you which member you need to get permission from and give you the contact details for that member.

If the track is owned by a member that has granted a mandate to MCPS, they will contact the member with details of your request and attempt to obtain approval on your behalf and agree acceptable licensing terms with the member. 

The member will either approve or reject the use of their music in your production and MCPS will inform you of their decision. If the request has been successful, MCPS will confirm the licence fee.

After you have confirmed you still intend to use the work, MCPS will raise an invoice. Once the invoice has been paid MCPS will issue you with a licence to use the work under the terms approved.

Rates and costs

All rates are negotiated on a case by case basis.

Send MCPS an enquiry about the track that you would like to use and how you wish to use it.

Other rights

You must also get permission to use the Sound Recording from the company that owns it - usually a record company.  PPL can help put you in touch with the correct record company.

If you are hosting content online and have pre-cleared the mechanical rights separately, you may also require a Performing Right Online Licence (PROL) to cover the communication to the public of our members work through digital services.

switching account

Switching your account...